Police Explorer Program
The Morgan Hill Police Department's Explorer Post 811 provides youth and young adults between the ages of 14 to 21 the opportunity to gain first hand experience and knowledge of the law enforcement profession. The Explorer Program exposes the Explorers to the duties, tools and skills needed of police officers and law enforcement professionals while building self-esteem and character.
As an Explorer, participants learn the value of team work, cooperation, and personal accountability by assisting our Police Department with various tasks and providing support where needed in addition to participating in practical police training and education. Our Explorer Post also serves the community by volunteering at special events.
There is also an opportunity for the Explorers to use their practical police training and education to compete in state-wide competitions with Explorers from other agencies. The competitions provide them with the opportunity to simulate a variety of police scenarios.
Police Officers, along with Public Safety Dispatchers and other law enforcement professionals, serve as Explorer Advisors.
- Applicants must be between the ages of 14 and 21.
- Must be currently enrolled in school and maintain a "C" average or better.
- Must not have any felony convictions, convictions of certain misdemeanors, or have any pending criminal cases.
- Consent to having their fingerprints taken as part of the background investigation check.
- There is no cost to join the program, but Explorers may be required to purchase their own uniform and equipment. Financial assistance is available for those who qualify.
- Participants are expected to attend all regularly scheduled meetings, trainings, and special events.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants may complete an Explorer application.
The completed application should be emailed to the Explorer Post Advisors for review and any questions about the process.
All Explorer applicants are carefully screened and their applications are reviewed to ensure that the applicant meets all basic requirements. Qualified applicants will be contact by the Explorer Program Advisors and asked to participate in a formal oral board interview.