Library, Culture & Arts Commission
The Library, Culture and Arts Commission is a 7-member, volunteer body appointed by the City Council. The group provides advice, recommendations, and plans, as well as executes programs for a range of community initiatives. Examples of responsibilities and commitments include, but are not limited to
- Advising on the adequacy of library facilities
- Serving as a liaison between the city and the Santa Clara County Library
- Consulting with private community groups supportive of library and arts programs
- Arranging city-sponsored artistic and performance opportunities
- Stimulating community involvement in the arts
- Reviewing and recommending works of art to be acquired by the city or installed on public property.
The commission wants to hear from you about how local authorities can best support local arts.
Visit the Commission's Facebook page for the latest activities.
- Time: 5:30 p.m.
- Date: First Tuesday of every month
- Place: Morgan Hill City Council Chamber
- Open to the public
Agendas & Minutes
- Cindy Blanton - Term expires April 2026
- Emily Borchers - Term expires April 2026
- Poonam Chabra - Term expires April 2024
- Suman Ganapathy - Term expires April 2024
- Katie Khera - Term expires April 2024
- Patrice Lyn - Term expires April 2026
- Amanda Santiago- Term expires April 2024
Virtual Art Exhibition
The LCAC invites residents of Morgan Hill and San Martin to participate in our new virtual exhibition series! Exhibitions will occur quarterly and focus on a theme(s) chosen by your LCAC commissioners. Themes will be announced the month before the exhibition through various City of Morgan Hill communications. Chosen submissions will be displayed on our Exhibition Site and in-person at the Morgan Hill Library.
Past Exhibition: July 2021 | Theme: Pride, Appreciation, or Nostalgia
Thank you to everyone who submitted work to our first virtual exhibition! Please see the chosen entrants below:
- Matthew Fitch
- Bill Barnhart
- Grace Cardoso
- James A. Conway
- Susan Dillon
- Alex Rzesniowiecki
- The Morgan Hill Open Studios
The Morgan Hill Open Studios aims to connect art lovers with local artists from across southern Santa Clara County through their annual open studio event. The MHOS is a collaboration with the Morgan Hill Library Culture and Arts Commission and operates as a non-profit under the Morgan Hill Community Foundation.
The open studio event takes place November 6 -7, 2021, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m., and is a free opportunity for the public to meet local artists, participate in live art demonstrations, as well as view and purchase artist’s works. Open studio locations will either be held in the artist’s studio or at a public space located in Morgan Hill where you are able to view work from multiple artists.
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org | Facebook | Instagram
- Call for Artists - Utility Box Art Program Phase 2
This project is temporarily on hold. Artists or donors interested in supporting the project can still contact the Commission as the program is intended to be brought back after Covid19. The City of Morgan Hill and the Library Culture and Art Commission are seeking local artists to submit their designs for original art interpreting an uplifting and inspirational message. Artists will be required to come up with both the message and art. Call for Artists - Utility Box Art Program Phase 2 Information.
- LCAC GoFundMe Campaign for Tara Romero Memorial Sculpture.
The City of Morgan Hill’s Library Culture and Arts Commission is working to support the completion of the Unity, Peace, Renewal: Tara Romero Memorial Statue. This public art will serve as an inspirational symbol of hope, peace, and unity for young people growing up in our community. Visit the GoFundMe Page for the Tara Romero Memorial Sculpture. Read more about the LCAC’s campaign (PDF)
Save the date or Saturday, April 23, 2022. Event information available: https://www.facebook.com/LCACMorganHill/.
- Poppy Jasper Art for City of Morgan Hill
Local artist Louis Latronica has made a beautiful sculpture, and the Library, Culture and Arts Commission wants to buy it to expand the City’s local art collection. For more information about this project and how to support this effort, please visit the Morgan Hill Art School webpage.
View the informational flyer (PDF) or Informational Press Release (PDF)
- Let’s Look at Art Program
Support the "Let’s Look at Art Program" by the San Jose Museum of Art. Volunteers needed.
Public Art Catalog
Policies & Procedures
- Arts and Culture in Morgan Hill (PDF)
- Funding of Community Culture and Arts Projects (PDF)
- Temporary Art Exhibits At City Facilities (PDF)
- City’s Permanent Art Collections (PDF)
- Community Partnerships (PDF)
Commissioners’ Reference Material
- Welcome Letter (PDF)
- Municipal Code Establishing LCAC (PDF)
- Ethics Policy and Brown Act (PDF)
- LCAC/PRC Roles and Responsibilities
- City Policies Regarding Selection of Chair and Vice Chair (PDF)
- Policies and Procedures
- Current Work Plan
- Public Art Proposals
- Peace Pole Project
- Tara Romero Statue