Loud Party Complaints

There is a loud party in my neighborhood, what can I do?

If someone is hosting a loud party in your neighborhood you can call the Police Department for assistance. Before you call the Police, you should decide whether the noise is at a level that your peace is being disturbed. If it is, then you should decide ether you would be willing to press formal charges in order to get the noise to stop or be turned down to a tolerable level.

If you decide to call the police, use the non-emergency number, 408-779-2101, not 911. You will be asked several things by our Public Safety Dispatcher. In addition to getting your name, address and telephone number the Dispatcher you talk to will also ask you if you are willing to press charges or if you are willing to speak with an officer directly.

We recommend that you provide the Dispatcher with your name, address and telephone number even if you do not want to press charges or be contacted. This will help us if other calls are received about the same party.  

What if I do not want to give my name and address?

Even if you do not want to give your name and address you may still call the police and report the noise. An officer will be made aware of your complaint and depending upon the level of other calls for service, he/she may make an attempt to drive by the party and, if necessary, warn the party host that a complaint was received. Officers will do their best to quiet the party, but please note the officer has no way of ordering the party host to turn down the music or face arrest or a citation. The officer may try to quiet the party by enforcing other laws  that he/she observes at the party such as, drinking in public, curfew, etc. If the party continues, or you decide that you are willing to press charges in order to quiet the party, you may call back and tell the Dispatcher that you are willing to do so.  

What laws are being broken if I give a loud party and refuse to lower or stop the noise?

There are several laws that may be broken if you are responsible for giving a party that is too loud. The California Penal Code (415.2)  states that it is illegal to maliciously and willfully disturb another person by loud and unreasonable noise.

The Morgan Hill Municipal Code Chapter 8.28- Noise - states it is unlawful and a misdemeanor for any person to make or continue, or cause to be made or continued, any loud, disturbing, unnecessary or unusual noise or any noise which annoys, disturbs, injures or endangers the comfort, health, repose, peace or safety of other persons within the city.  Chapter 8.28.40  states the operation of any instrument, phonograph, machine or device between the hours of 11:00 pm. and 7:00 am. in such manner as to be plainly audible at a distance of fifty feet from the building, structure or vehicle in which such device is located which shall be prima facie evidence of a violation of the provisions of this section.

If an officer deems the noise(s) to be in violations of these sections, you could issued a citation or be subject to arrest for a violation of these codes.