Encroachment Permit Application Procedures
You have multiple options to apply for an encroachment permit. You may choose to download the and email a PDF copy, submit via fax to 408-779-7236, or come into the City of Morgan Hill's Development Services Center located at 17575 Peak Avenue.
Please read all the requirements on this page prior to submitting any type of application. All documents and/or plans required must be submitted either electronically or brought into the Public Work's office before an application is deemed complete and will not be processed until all documents and/or plans are submitted.
Turn Around Time
"Turn Around" time will depend upon the magnitude of the proposed improvement and the completeness of the application. Permit applications are reviewed once every week. Please allow up to one week for review and issuance.
Review & Approval
Regardless of the method you choose to apply, the following must be received prior to issuance of the permit:
- 2 copies of plans showing proposed improvements within the public right of way
- Cost Estimate: - Owner and/or contractor shall provide a cost estimate for all proposed work within the public right of way
- Work Schedule - Estimated start and completion date
- U.S.A. Locate Inquiry Number - Contractor must call for a U.S.A. Locate before issuance of a permit at 800-227-2600 (The permit shall become valid no earlier than 2 days after calling)
- Liability Insurance and Endorsement - Applicant must provide 2 items, (1) a Certificate of Liability Insurance with, and (2) an endorsement form which names the "City of Morgan Hill, its' elected officials, officers, employees, agents, volunteers and representatives" as "Additionally Insured" (The general liability coverage of the policy must be for at least $1 Million ($1,000,000))
- Bonds - All public improvement work in excess of $50,000 will require a 100% Performance Bond, a 100% Labor & Material Bond, and a 50% Warranty Bond
- Contractor Information - Applicant must provide the name, phone number, license type and license number of the contractor and sub-contractors
- Contractor must have a current Class “A” Contractors License in order to perform work within the public right of way
- A Class C-8 License is acceptable for jobs consisting only of concrete curbs, gutters, sidewalks or driveway approaches
- Contractor must also have a current City Business License unless excluded by the City Engineer
- Traffic Control - If the work might impede traffic, contractor and/or sub-contractor must submit 2 copies of a traffic control plan for review and approval prior to any change in traffic flow (Note: An Engineered Traffic Control Plan shall be required for arterial streets and shall be prepared by a licensed Traffic Engineer)
- Fees - All Public Works fees must be paid prior to issuance of a permit (The permit fee is $550 or 13.3% (whichever is greater) of the estimated cost of construction, updated July 1, 2016)
- Inspection - Contractor must request an inspection 48 hours prior to the start of work and subsequent inspections
- City Standards - All work shall conform to the latest edition of the City of Morgan Hill Standard Details for Construction (All deviations or revisions must be submitted in writing for City Engineer approval)
For questions concerning Encroachment Permit Applications and Procedures, contact John Henry by email or by calling 408-310-4645.