Water Use in New Development
To ensure that new developments become even more water efficient, City staff have been working with staff from other cities, Santa Clara County, the Santa Clara Valley Water District, Sustainable Silicon Valley, and Joint Venture Silicon Valley in the development of a model new development ordinance.
The preliminary work on this model ordinance is now complete and the administrative draft is now being shared with other groups for their input and consideration. If you have comments or questions about the draft ordinance, feel free to e-mail Anthony Eulo.
Current Morgan Hill Drought Regulations
Effective November 1, 2016 through March 31, 2017, the following irrigation restrictions are in effect:
- Watering is restricted to one day a week. That day will be Wednesday.
- Watering is permitted before 9 a.m. and after 7 p.m.
- Watering is limited to no more than 15 minutes per watering day per station
In addition, the following is in effect:
- Restrictions cover all potable water in the Morgan Hill City limits, including water from private wells.
- Pool filling restrictions have been lifted.
- The washing of vehicles is allowed with the use of a hand-held bucket or similar container or a hand-held hose equipped with a positive self-closing water shut-off nozzle or device.
Other Level 1 restrictions are as follows:
- Limits on Watering Days: Watering or irrigating of lawn, landscape or other vegetated area with potable water is limited to one day per week from November 1st through March 31st as follows:
- Watering limitations decrease to 1 day a week beginning in November.
- That day will be Wednesday
- Obligation to Fix Leaks, Breaks or Malfunctions:
- No Washing Down Hard or Paved Surfaces: Washing down hard or paved surfaces is prohibited except when necessary to alleviate safety or sanitary hazards. Washing down structures, fences, and hard surfaces expressly for the purposes of preparing a surface for the application of a surface coating is not prohibited provided it does not occur more than one time in any twelve (12) month period.
We have prepared a list of Frequently Asked Questions to help you better understand the Level 1 Water Supply Shortage. If you have any additional questions, send us an email or give us a call at 408-776-7333.
Conserving water is always an important aspect of environmental protection and one that can pay off immediately to you in the form of reducing your water bill.
Morgan Hill residents interested in conserving water can receive the following items at no charge:
- Water Wise Garden Information Packet - Save money by following the information in this packet and designing a water wise landscape. Plant selection, drip irrigation guidelines, and lawn watering information are included.
- Water Saving Shower Heads and Faucet Aerators - Save water while cleaning up by installing these low-flow water fixtures.
To receive any or all of these items, please send an email telling us what you want. You may also mail us a note at:
City of Morgan Hill
Environmental Services Division
17555 Peak Avenue
Morgan Hill, CA 95037
Be sure to include your name and address.
Water Wise House Call Program
The Santa Clara County Water Wise House Call program is currently on hold while it undergoes a makeover. To request a notification for when the new program is launched, call the water conservation hotline at (408) 630-2554.
- Santa Clara Valley Water District
- Water Saving Programs & Tips
- Watch this short video to learn where Morgan Hill’s water comes from, how it is used, and how you can use it more efficiently
- Watch the winning student film created by Spenser Linney for the 1st Annual Water Efficiency and Innovation Film Competition at Stanford
- To report any water waste that you may observe, use this form