Hot Weather Safety
Cooling Centers in Morgan HillA Cooling Center is a location that provides indoor relief from the heat and offers drinking water. Morgan Hill has two City facilities that serve as Cooling Centers for the community during their regular business hours: The Centennial Recreation Center and the Community and Cultural Center.
Beat the Heat!Plan accordingly for the hot weather and keep your loved ones safe. Following a few simple tips can help your family, friends and pets lesson the chance of experiencing heat-related illness:
- Drink plenty of liquids. Drink water and sports drinks - even if you don't feel thirsty. Avoid alcohol, caffeine and sugar, because they cause your body to lose fluids.
- Limit physical activity. Avoid physical activity during the hottest time of the day - 10am - 3pm.
- NEVER leave people or pets in a closed, parked car.
- Stay in air- conditioned areas. Help keep cool by spending time at malls, libraries, movie theaters, and community centers.
- Cool off by taking a bath or shower. Cool, plain water baths or moist towels work best. Do not cool children in alcohol baths.
- Wear cool clothing. Lightweight, light-colored and loose-fitting clothing can help you keep cool. Cotton clothes are good because they let sweat evaporate.
- Do not bundle babies. Babies do not handles heat well because their sweat glands are not fully developed. Do not put them in blankets or heaving clothing.
- Cover your head. Wear a wide-brimmed, vented hat or use an umbrella when outdoors because your head absorbs heat easily.
- Wear sunglasses and sunscreen. Use sunscreen with SPF or higher when outdoors.
- Rest often in shady areas. Find shady places to cool down when outdoors.